FEMEN is a ‘feminist’ protest group which claims to advocate for Women’s Rights by demolishing patriarchy in its three forms: sexual exploitation of women, dictatorship, and religion.
Doesn’t sound all bad, right? Well you couldn’t be more wrong, and for a very long time, I was also under the impression FEMEN was an actual progressive movement for women as well. I will be speaking from my own perspective as an East Indian Muslim woman, and therefore will not be able to fully account for the experiences and feelings of individuals associated with other religions/ages/creeds/colours/races/demographics/genders/sexes.
FEMEN promotes pseudo-sex positive messages by primarily attacking women of colour and religion. They assume that by parading around topless in Islamic countries, they are “liberating” Muslim women. By doing this, they are demonstrating a VERY limited knowledge of what ACTUAL institutional and sociopolitical environmental factors oppress Muslim/religious women. They DON’T advocate for more sexual education, safe education for women or children, body positivity, and they completely exclude Muslim women from their protests anyway. They don’ support victims of abuse, domestic violence, sexual exploitation, nor those oppressed by government regimes and war regardless of race/religion/sex/etc. There is an assumption made by this group that ALL religion oppresses women, and Atheism is the only method of liberation.
So in a nutshell, FEMEN
- Mutually excludes Muslim Women’s council, and is really just Eurocentric, also, perpetuates idea that all Muslim women are oppressed
- Continues to send negative images/messages about Islam into mainstream media
- Manipulated “Allahu Akbar” which means “Allah is the Greatest” or “God Is Great” into “Femen Akbar” and “Liberté Akbar,” and yelling these while bowing down as you would see a Muslim individual to Allah. This is highly offensive…. Considering how against religion they are, they very much so enjoy appropriating Islam
you can see their disgusting behaviour here: http://vimeo.com/85628770
also, appropriated the Sign of the Cross against it’s own religion
- Yelling things like “Abortions are Sacred,” yet doing nothing to actually educate people about abortions, being pro-life, nor protesting for better sexual health education, abortion and pre and post-natal health care facilities
- Perpetuates a very “Middle Eastern” standard of Muslim who are ‘oppressed’ - thus excluding white, black, and other Muslims
- Their Global protest of going topless was dubbed the “Topless Jihad,” which is INCREDIBLY offensive and racist
- Dubs women’s bodies as “weapons” which has harmful effects for women everywhere. My body is not your weapon, you are not neutralizing breasts by equating nipples to bombs, if anything you are making the stigma against breasts WORSE
- Writes messages like “ARAB WOMEN AGAINST ISLAMISTS”
not all Arabs are women, and what’s your feminism if it marginalizes Muslim women more than they already are, anyway?
- Makes women fight/protest without clothing on to make a statement! This is dangerous to those protesting, as violence can so easily erupt, and without proper protection, they will get hurt. Complete lack of care for the safety of the group’s members is not commendable…
- Chooses which women actually get to participate in the “protests,” so as to gain more press (as in, the only women you’ll see with flower crowns and redundant profanity on their bodies are skinny, conventionally pretty, oh, and white [with the occasional very fair brown girl])
PS. FEMEN was established by a cis, white man with little understanding of systemic sexism, and has used and manipulated hundreds/thousands of women’s breasts/bodies for shock value and extra press. When you realize FEMEN is ‘against’ the exploitation of women’s bodies for purposes of selling things and ideas, you realize how sadly ironic this actually is
- Judge, mock, and ridicule women who aren’t supportive of their behaviour
- Completely ignore cultural sensitivities, differences, and social structures
-Defines an entire feminist movement around BREASTS, thus excluding men, transexuals, and other sexual identities
- Defines an entire feminist movement around SEXUAL LIBERATION, yet openly CONDEMNS AND SHAMES PROSTITUTES AND SEX WORKERS (how does this even make sense, I am pulling out my HAIR)
- Harasses unknowing and innocent people in the street
- Wear the Hijab/Niqab mockingly, where the rest of their bodies are nude
- Their whole site is filled with bullshit about eradicating patriarchy through sextremism, which “demonstrates intellectual, psychological and physical superiority of female activists”
- Entered religious and sacred grounds nude (lack of religious sensitivity what what)
- Protestors physically harassed a model
- bringing back stereotypes of all feminists being “lesbian bra-burners with no morals” (ie. not good for feminism, not good for lesbians)
- Their messages are just so contradictory holy fuck, just go through their fb group. They claim to be against violence and for all people, yet all of their protests result in some sort of violence, whether it be against religious groups or just people in general, and they are against religious systems as well as individuals
- does crap for creating understanding of what rape culture and slut shaming does to women and society
- ya, so you may go topless but you still shave your pits, conforming to patriarchal ideals of hairlessness in women equaling beauty so????
Evidence of their racist shit:
(PPSSST. FORCING MUSLIM WOMEN TO GET NAKEND WONT LIBERATE THEM.)
(Terrorizing Catholic Church goers, I see)
“The court hearing of the case of 9 FEMEN activists who committed scandalous anti-religious act in Notre Dame Cathedral was postponed till 9th of July.” - FEMEN
lol and you guys thought i was a crazy feminist
As in: fuck you because you’re morals aren’t complicit with ours ahaha
These people are not feminists. They do not fight for the rights of all women despite colour, race, religion, etc. They oppress us further by excluding our voices, and making us seem as though our religion forces us to be subordinate, and perpetuate white ideals of beauty.They make (religious) men seem like evil, power hungry monsters, and have no place in the feminist movement, not to mention the problems of the LGTBQA community aren’t even remotely considered. Although they do have a few good messages, they are not sending those messages with inclusivity in mind, and most of them are contradictory. Go ahead, go topless- I’m all for going topless! Just DO NOT go topless to ridicule individuals who follow their religions, to DEGRADE people, groups, and sexualities. Understand that feminism isn’t only about being topless and nude, this such a shallow representation of feminism, it makes me sick. This is group is primarily for white-feminist-atheist extremists and should not be taken seriously as an international movement. If your ‘feminism’ is against my sexuality, my religion, my being, I don’t want to have any part in whatever shit you come up with.
PS. They’re taking my favourite elements of photography (nudity and flowers) and giving it a negative connotation and this makes me anGRY
PPS. Do not compare this group to slut walk.
Do not tell me about how Muslim women are oppressed unless you are actually a muslim or muslim woman.
straight boys think girls can’t take compliments, and that’s ridiculous cause i’ve seen so many girls compliment each other, i’ve seen conversations & friendships blossom from girls complimenting each other in line, on the street, at school waiting for the bys, pretty much anywhere.
the problem is straight boys think sexual harassment & assault are compliments.
That socialist theory is tied and weighted down by the legacy of failed 20th century socialist-states, primarily the USSR, whilst capitalism transcends the evil history of the Industrial Revolution, child-labour, of coup d’état-shock therapy, of crude imperial and colonial projects (— and still engaging in them), etc, is very telling of how entrenched in ideology we are.
I lost it with Femen when they took the dress off that model, in a runway show. That’s not feminism, that’s sexual assault.
If you consider FEMEN a legitimate feminist group I don’t want anything to do with you or your brand of feminism